Automatic Transmission Not Shifting Smoothly?
Transmission Trouble Signs and What to Look For
From gears not changing smoothly to the transmission not shifting at all, there are a lot of signs that transmission repairs are in your future. Transmission repairs and rebuilds can be costly and stressful. Transmission and drivetrain problems can be hard to diagnose, but knowing the warning signs of trouble can help reduce the amount of damage and the cost of repairs. Know what common transmission problems to look for and which ones lead to more severe problems.
- Low transmission fluid level. If the transmission fluid level is low, be sure to bring your car in to AAMCO Minnesota for a complete transmission inspection. Low fluid usually means leaks, which only get worse with time, or a bad control solenoid.
- Problems with torque converter. This can lead to complete transmission failure, possibly at a very inconvenient time, such as when you’re driving down the highway. Some tell-tale signs are loud noises coming from the transmission.
- Jammed clutch. If the clutch gets stuck, the car will shake and the transmission will grind and overheat. This is a serious problem and needs to be repaired immediately.
- Solenoid issues. The control solenoid can be very touchy, and when it aces up it can affect the control of the fluid moving through the transmission. When this happens, damage can occur due to low fluid levels (see #1) or electrical issues.
- Shift problems. Transmissions can have problems with gears slipping, hard shifting, downshifting, or not shifting at all. Heed these warning signs and bring your car to an AAMCO Minnesota transmission repair shop as soon as you can.
If your car needs a quality transmission repair or rebuild, visit your local AAMCO Minnesota transmission repair center before it’s too late, or schedule an appointment now to have your car’s transmission inspected.